Thursday, October 15, 2009

1st Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

1st Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. Viking Publishing, 2006. Genre: Realistic Fiction

Just Listen
by Sarah Dessen is a wonderful tale about a girl named Annabel Greene. She is a local model who is portrayed as the girl with the perfect life, when currently it’s the exact opposite. The book takes you through Annabel losing and gaining friends and trying to reveal what really happened with her friend. She also has to deal with the fact that she doesn’t want to model anymore, and has troubles finding a way to tell her mother. Annabel meets Owen Armstrong, a boy obsessed with music. She learns from him how to be honest and realize sometimes the truth is better than holding it all inside.

“Once again, the incomparable Sarah Dessen has written a novel that will captivate her many readers.” The insides cover reads.

Just Listen goes through high school life while losing a friend and dealing with rumors, while trying to confront the truth. Dessen tends to go back in time a lot, where we learn about what happened with her sisters. We see that Whitney, the middle child, struggled with an eating disorder, and Kirsten moving away.

Throughout the book we also watch a developing relationship between Annabel and Owen. He starts spending more and more time with her, and finding ways to be with her.

“Even before I pulled it out, I knew what it was: Owen’s iPod. It was nicked and scratched beyond all belief, a faint crack across the screen, his earphones wrapped around it. And despite the cold of the World of Waffles, it was warm in my hand." (199)

I really enjoyed this book and am also starting to read more of Sarah Dessen’s books. I feel like they are all really diverse, while some include elements from other stories, like Lock and Key refers to a girl named Annabel on a radio show, which is most likely referring to when Annabel was on Owen’s show. I like how she uses dialogue, and description. I feel like there is the right about of dialogue for my taste, and not too much description.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Hayley's overall impression of this book is good. this is because hayley is now reading some of ssarah dessins other books.

    2. Hayley noticed the the author uses some of the same characters in other books of hers. also she uses a lot of dialogue.

    3. the author piced and interesting passage from the book because it shows the relationship between owen and anna. also it shows about their characters.

    4. i would not really consider reading this book. this is because i am not really interested in these types of books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the author really like and enjoyed the book because she made connections with the author.
    Hayley noticed that the characters are used in more than one book.
    The author picked and interesting passage from the book because it shows the relationship between owen and anna. Also it shows about their characters.
    I really wouldn't like reading this book because i don't enjoy these types of books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think hayley liked this book beacuse she likes sarah dessins other books. she also said that she likes all the description.
    she thinks that the books writing style is descriptive and has good dialogue.
    I think she picked a great passage form the book. It really shows how descriptive the book was.
    i would consiider reading this book. i sounds like my type of book that is teen relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1)I think that overall Hayley really enjoyed reading this book and she liked the way the author writes.

    2) What Hayley noticed about the author's writing style is that the characters are used in more than one book, as if the stories are connected. She also thought the author used the right amount of dialogue and descriptions.

    3) I thought Hayley picked a good passage to explain because it really shows the author's writing style, and the author's creativity.

    4) I would consider reading this book because I think the plot line sounds interesting and Sarah Dessan sounds like a very good and interesting writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HALANATOR!

    Even before i began reading your review i new i was going to like it
    1. because i had read the book and sarah dessen is probably one of my all time favorite authors and
    2. its hayleys blog so it has to be great

    sarahs dessen ties in so many life challnges teen face and you incorpurated how you laso love her style of writing into your review. you seem to know the concept of the book extrnly well by your review. theres nothing else i can really say about the book review but great job!

    great job halanator!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the reviewer's overall impression was that she really enjoyed the book.

    the author noticed that the characters are used in more than just one book. there is the right amount of dialogue and description.

    the reviewer did pick an interesting quote because it shows that there is some kind of connection between annabell and owen.

    i would consider reading this book because it sounds like a really good book

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. Hayley liked this book and also likes some of the other books the author has written.

    2. Hayley noticed that the author has a consistent style of writing and that she often uses a lot of dialogue.

    3. The passage Hayley chose showed how the author writes and the description that she uses.

    4. This was a good book review that gave me a very good idea of the book and the author's writing style.

    5. I would not really consider reading this book because it's not really the type of book I typically read.

    ReplyDelete