
In life, there are many obstacles that will face us. Overcoming obstacles is part of basic life. There are things we can swerve around and clear out of our way, or some slow us down, keeping us from pursuing what we want, not what we need to. Obstacles can be as simple as waking up late from school, or missing the bus. They can also be as complicated as losing someone close to you or becoming very ill. We have to find the strength in side of us to battle these obstacles.
In the novella, The Old Man and the Sea, there are many obstacles working against Santiago. He is faced with many challenges that he has to overcome. Some weaken his ability to fish drastically, and others weaken his strength to keep going. The obstacles that Santiago had to face were the power of the marlin, being alone, and the sharks. Santiago finds determination within him to stay strong and not give up.
When Santiago set out on his 86th trial to catch a good fish, he succeeded. However, one obstacle did not allow him to arrive home with his "trophy". The sharks put up a good fight against Santiago. "The skiff was still shaking with the destruction the other shark was doing to the fish..." (108). The sharks were relentless, and unwilling to leave with anything but a piece of that marlin. But Santiago was the same; he was going to put up a brutal fight. The sharks swarmed around the small skiff, shaking it as they swam beneath. The blood of the poorly fastened marlin spilling into the water lured the sharks in more.
Another obstacle was the fact that Santiago was by himself so far out from shore. He had declined Manolin's offer to come along, stating that he did not need to be on such an unlucky boat. Santiago regrets his unwillingness to allow Manolin on the boat when he says, "'I wish I had the boy. To help me and to see this" (48). As much as Santiago probably did not want to admit it, he needed the boy there with him. Even though he managed on his own, it would have been a better success with Manolin there. Together they could have fought off the sharks and brought home more of the marlin.
Early on in his trip, Santiago had a tough battle to face. When Santiago first hooks the marlin, it does not let go for three days. The man has to stay up with the fish, and never ceases. His determination breaks through here and he does not want to lose an opportunity at a prize catch. "He is wonderful and strange and who knows how old he is, he thought. Never have I had such a strong fish nor one who acted so strangely" (48). Santiago believed the fish was strange because it was not jumping; it was just circling through the water. Santiago waited for the fish to jump, but it was not happening. This confused Santiago but it may of also made catching the fish easier.
In conclusion, there are giant road blocks holding us back in whatever we do; in sports, school, and just daily life. Santiago found strength within him to get past these obstacles, even if he did not get the outcome he wanted. He did not give up on himself, no matter how terrible his hand, body and mind felt. Maybe the glory does not come from catching the marlin, but his lonely pursuit. As Miley Cyrus' song goes, "it's not about what's waiting on the other side, it's the climb".
1. your thesis statement is that there are many obstacles in life anhd we have to get through them. Your thesis is clear and consise and you have good points.
ReplyDelete2. The quote that is the strongest in your eassay is in the second paragraph because you have good supporting details and it makes sense. you also described a lot of things well in this paragraph.
3. in your eassay you have good reasons and quotes that go along with your thesis well.
4.I'm not sure if you added literary analysis terms.
1.) Ok… the first thing I need to say is that ur title is the fricken best thing I’ve ever read. Now, about the thesis. Her thesis is overcoming obstacles that are put tin our way. It is really good and the title just drew me in completely, forget the thesis. Who needs a thesis when u have that as ur title.
ReplyDelete2.)I think the quote used best in this story is the one talking about Santiago wanting the boy back fishing with him. The other quotes were just alright,that was the best though.
3.)My favorite piece of the essay is the part where she talks
4.) I think you copied and pasted wrong because your last body paragraph says that this is the first obstacle the Santiago faces. When it def. is the last one. Hahahahah Nice job, girl!!!
I. Hayley's thesis is about overcoming the obstacles that we are faced with everyday, whether they be big or small. And i have to say i agree with Sabree, I LOVE YOUR TITLE!
ReplyDeleteII. I think that the last quote was used best in the essay. It's made me think about what the author was saying in a new way, that made complete sense.
III. The essay used great word choice. It was intriguing and different than most essays. It pulled me in and made me what to read more.
IV. One thing you can check is spelling and error for a few minor mistakes. Otherwise, great job Haylez!
THAR SHE BLOWS!!! thats not part of my comment its just a joke anyways im getting side tracked here my comment question things...
ReplyDelete1:There are things we can swerve around and clear out of our way, or some slow us down, keeping us from pursuing what we want, not what we need to. you thesis is clear it tells us santiago has many bosicles along with many other people but that is life.
2. when describing snatiagos obsicles hayley back this us with details to suppoet why they are main challenges and obsicles
4:nothing it has everything it needs to suppoer hayleeys discussion.
i LOL'ED when i read you closing sentance its funny stuff!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOO HAYYYYYLEYYYYY RACCCIIIICOOOOTTTT!!!
I. The thesis is that Santiago faced many obstacles. It was clear and concise. I thought it was focused too, and she provided reasons to back up her thesis.
ReplyDeleteII. I thought her best example was that Santiago was alone at sea. I thought the quote she used backed up her opinion well. I also thought she explained it well.
III. I thought this essay did many things well, but my favorite part was the conclusion. I liked how she related Santiago's experience to real life. Especially to Miley Cyrus' song because that is definitely the main theme of the book.
IV. The only thing I would suggest is to reread. I thought they're were a few spelling/grammar mistakes. Other than that, I thought it was reallly good!
1. The essay's thesis is that people go through obstacles everyday whether its simple or complex. Its clear and easy to relate to.
ReplyDelete2. this quote was placed it very good.."'I wish I had the boy. To help me and to see this" (48). it shows how the man missed and needed the boy. It backs up your example well.
3. Your best thing of this essay was your choice of examples..They had great quotes to back them up and i can understand why it would be an obstacle easily.
4. i dont think you need to change anything because it was very well written. i didnt see any convention errors, but you could just double check.
I. The thesis of this essay is that Santiago faces many obstacles. I think that this thesis is very focused because it is simple and to the point. She also has good evidence to back it up, making it even better.
ReplyDeleteII. I think that the best quotation that she used was : .."'I wish I had the boy. To help me and to see this" (48), because she used it very well to support her thesis and integrated it into her essay. I think that it had more meaning than the other quotes that she used.
III. I think that the best part of her essay was her conclusion. I thought it was really creative and was a great ending to her essay that concluded her ideas.
IV. I really didnt see anything that you could fix. You should just go back and read your essay out loud and make sure everything is clean and worded properly. GOOD JOB HAYLEYYY :)
1. The thesis is that there are many conflicts in life, and Santiago faces many struggles on his adventure to catch the fish. It was really clear and engaging.
ReplyDelete2. I think the second quote was the best because it worked really well with what the conflict you were analyzing was. It was also "short and sweet" and made your point very clear.
3. I really liked the conclusion of your essay because it connected everything in the story to something that most people can relate to. It also connected really well with the title which I love!
4. I didn't really see anything that you could fix. Maybe just proofread to make sure there are no spelling/grammar mistakes. It was really great!
I. Hayley's thesis is "In the novella, The Old Man and the Sea, there are many obstacles working against Santiago... The obstacles that Santiago had to face were the power of the marlin, being alone, and the sharks."
ReplyDeleteII. I think that the second quote that Hayley uses is the best one. I think it is used very well and integrated well into the paragraph. It also related well to the conflict.
III. I really liked Hayley's title and conclusion. I thought it was cool how she related the general topic to a song and used that in her essay.
IV. I think that the one thing that Hayley could work on are her mechanics: grammar, spelling, etc.